WATERCRESS SALAD WITH RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
- 2 bunches watercress, rinsed well and dried, tough stems removed
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, tough core removed, leaves separated, rinsed well and dried
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean, stem ends trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- <5623>2 teaspoons Garlic-Rosemary Red Wine Vinegar5623>
- 2 teaspoons Merlot (from Argentina)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
In a large bowl, combine the watercress, lettuce, mushrooms, and onions. To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the mustard, red wine vinegar, red wine, garlic, and chives.
Gradually whisk in all the oil, and continue mixing until an emulsion forms. Add the salt and pepper and mix well. Toss the dressing as desired on the salad. Crumble the cheese on top and serve.
Pair with the same Merlot as in the dressing.
Yield: 6 servings