- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded medium sharp cheddar cheese
- Simple Croutons, for garnish (optional)
- Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total: 35 minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. When it is hot, add the onions, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once the stock is boiling, add the broccoli and cook until fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let it cool slightly. Then puree the soup, in batches, in a blender, adding the cheese in three additions while blending (see Note). Adjust the seasoning if necessary, garnish with croutons if desired, and serve hot.
- Note: Please use caution when blending hot liquids; blend only small amounts at a time, with the blender tightly covered and a kitchen towel held over the top.
Emeril's Oven Roasted Chicken Wings
Emeril's Late-night Parfaits
Spicy Sausage, Bean And Cheese Nachos
Emeril's Broccoli And Gruyere Soup
Better Than Mama's Chili Mac
Cantaloupe, Prosciutto, And Arugula Salad
Orange, Walnut, And Goat Cheese Salad
Boneless Pork Chops Parmigiana
Black Bean Cakes
Skillet Corn Cake With Stewed Cherries