- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds flat-iron steak (also known as top blade)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Avocado, Tomato, and Red Onion Salad, for serving
In a small bowl, combine onion, bell peppers, garlic, thyme, oregano, 1 tablespoon salt, sugar, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and vinegar. Whisk in vegetable oil.
Add steak to a gallon-size resealable plastic bag or other container. Pour in marinade and refrigerate overnight.
One hour before serving, remove steak from refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature.
Preheat a grill to high.
Remove steak from marinade. Discard marinade. Season steak with remaining teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and olive oil. Grill steak for 7 to 8 minutes per side for medium-rare. (Flat-iron steak is at its best if you do not cook it past medium.) Remove steak from grill and let it rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice steak across grain and serve it with Avocado, Tomato, and Red Onion Salad.
Cook's Note: Instead of using the onion-pepper mixture as a marinade, you can use half to baste the steaks and the other half as a dressing for the salad.
Avocado, Tomato and Red Onion Salad
Seared Tri-tip Steak With Bearnaise Sauce And Pommes Frites
Grilled Rack Of Lamb with a Mixed Herb Pesto
"dressed" American Wagyu Flat Iron Steak
Grilled Shrimp With Creamy Avocado-lime Vinaigrette
French Onion Soup
Port Wine, Red Onion, Garlic And Olive Oil Marinated And Grilled Flank Steak
Creamy Avocado-lime Vinaigrette