- 3 dried ancho chilies, or other large mild chiles
- 1 dried guajillo chile, or other large mild chile
- 6 dried chiles de arbol, or other small hot chiles
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, or other small smoky chiles
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound queso fresca, grated
- 1/4 pound cotija cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound queso quesadilla or other good melting cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 pound fresh chorizo or other hot sausage, casing removed, browned
- One 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained, or 1 small fresh poblano chile, diced
- Fifteen 6-inch corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Add dried chiles to a pot of boiling water. Cover, remove from heat, and set aside for 30 minutes. Remove chiles from water, drain, and remove and discard stems. Add chiles to a blender with oil and salt, and blend on high for 2 minutes. Set a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and strain the chile oil; using a rubber spatula, press chiles to extract as much flavor as possible into the oil. Using a rubber spatula or a spoon, scrape fine bits adhering to the outside bottom of the strainer into the oil. Discard any skin and seeds remaining in strainer.
- In another bowl, combine queso fresca, cotija, and half the queso quesadilla. Stir in onion, browned sausage, and the green chiles.
- Working a few at a time, soften corn tortillas by dipping them in chile oil and then warming briefly in a small nonstick skillet. (This will allow them to be rolled without breaking.) Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup cheese mixture and roll each filled tortilla into a tight cylinder. Place closely together in a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish, seam side down. Repeat until all of the filling and tortillas are used and pan is filled. Top enchiladas with remaining queso quesadilla and drizzle with a bit of remaining chile oil. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, about 12 minutes.
Chicken Pockets Stuffed With Goat Cheese, Chorizo, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Southern Style Black Eye Peas
Emeril's Perfect Mexican Salsa And Homemade Tortilla Chips
Chicken And Green Chile Tamales With Roasted Tomato Salsa
Home-ground Buffalo Burgers With Bacon, Cheese, And Fresh Thyme
Sopapillas With Lime-honey Drizzle
Short Ribs Braised With Coffee And Ancho Chiles
Chorizo, Bean And Cheese Nachos
Stir-fried Squid With Chile Sauce
Broccoli And Cheese Soup