- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cups sliced red onions
- 1 1/2 cups sliced white onions
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup sliced leeks, bottoms only, well rinsed in several changes of water
- 1 cup sliced scallions (white parts only)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons snipped chives, for garnish
- Shaved Parmesan, for garnish
- Parmesan-Garlic Bread
- Parmesan-Garlic Bread:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 (12 to 14-inch long) French baguette, ends trimmed and cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels, and set aside for garnish.
- To the fat remaining in the pan, add the yellow, red, and white onions, shallots, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and thyme and cook, stirring, until very soft and starting to caramelize, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the leeks and scallions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Dust flour over, and stir and cook until flour turns light golden. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cream, stir well to incorporate, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and pulse soup with an immersion blender. Return to the pot with the remaining soup, stir to combine, and heat gently.
- Divide the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with bacon, chives, and a little shaved Parmesan. Serve slices of the Parmesan-Garlic bread on the side and serve immediately.
- Parmesan-Garlic Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Cream the butter, garlic, parsley, chives, salt, pepper, and half of the cheese in a small bowl using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Spread both halves of the bread evenly with the garlic butter and top with the remaining grated cheese. Place the bread halves on the prepared baking sheet, cut sides up, and bake until fragrant and lightly golden around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, broil until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.) Cut crosswise on the diagonal into1 1/2-inch slices. Serve hot.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Baby Romaine Stuffed Vidalia Onion Ring Salad with Lemon-Herb Vinaigrette
Grilled Flank Steak with Cebollitas (grilled green onions)
Cipollini Stuffed Chicken Breasts And Poached Leeks With A Dijon Vinaigrette
Caramelized Onion And Parmesan Cheese Soup With Parmesan Cheese Toasts
Caramelized Onion And Parmesan Cheese Soup
Roasted Chicken With Caramelized Onions, Andouille And Sweet Corn Bread Pudding With Southern Cooked Greens
Roasted Garlic Custards With Seared Shrimp And Green Onion Coulis
Roast Beef Hash With Poached Eggs And Wild Mushroom Sauce On Garlic French Bread
Duck Pastrami On French Bread With Onion Marmalade