- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions (optional)
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat the oven to 350Â°F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, until opaque (cloudy), and nutty in aroma, about 2 minutes.
- Add the water, chicken broth, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Using oven mitts or pot holders, transfer to the oven, and bake until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the pan from the oven and let sit, undisturbed, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the scallions, if desired. Serve hot.