- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 pound (2 cups) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 pounds confectioners' sugar (10X)
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 4 1/2 ounces milk
- Cream the shortening and butter together in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the lemon juice and salt. Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add the meringue powder - the mixture will appear dry. Add the milk and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 to 8 minutes. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap.