- 1 cup dry green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Pinch allspice
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped parsley, garnish
- Pita Bread
- In a medium pot, combine the lentils and water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and simmer until still firm and almost done, 15 to 18 minutes. Add the bulgur wheat and 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover, and remove from the heat. Let sit until the bulgur is tender and the water is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes, adding more water is the wheat seems dry.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring, until very soft, 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and allspice, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the lentil and bulgur wheat mixture and stir well to combine. Remove from the heat.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized to a very dark brown color, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the lentil and bulgur wheat mixture to a platter and top with the caramelized onions. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, to taste. Serve either hot or at room temperature, with pita bread.
Crispy Catfish And Black Eyed Peas, Bacon And Caramelized Onion Relish With Fried Collard Greens
Goat Cheese Gnocchi And Warm Spinach Salad With Caramelized Onion And Andouille Vinaigrette
Canape Of Maytag Blue Cheese And Roasted Walnuts With A Caramelized Onion And Apple Relish
Roasted Chicken With Caramelized Onions, Andouille And Sweet Corn Bread Pudding With Southern Cooked Greens
Bulgur Wheat Stuffed Tomato
Cinnamon Smoked Venison Medallions With Bourbon Mash Sweet Potatoes And A Caramelized Onion Gravy
Rabbit And Shiitake Mushroom Terrine With A Caramelized Onion Sauce
Bacon Pancakes With Walnut Butter And Caramelized Onions
Slow Cooked White Beans With Pan Fried Pork Chops And Caramelized Onions
Blue Cheese Polenta Cakes With Arugula, Caramelized Onions And Walnuts