- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups peeled and diced Fuji or Gala apples (1/4-inch dice)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples and sauté, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon, the nutmeg, and salt, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, until the apples are lightly coated with the syrup. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and apple cider. Stir in the cooled apple mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and the 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the apple mixture. Gradually incorporate the flour into the wet ingredients, mixing gently with a whisk until uniform. Set the batter aside for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 350°F. Set a wire rack over a paper-towel- lined baking sheet.
- Using an electric hand mixer, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the batter until completely blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup sugar with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside half of this mixture in a medium container for the final sprinkling.
- Working in batches of 3 or 4, and being careful not to overcrowd the fryer, add 2-tablespoon scoops of the fritter batter to the fryer. Fry the fritters for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden and cooked through, turning them as needed for even color. Remove the fritters with a slotted spoon or strainer, drain briefly, toss them in the bowl of cinnamon sugar, and set them aside on the wire rack.
- Once you have finished frying them, roll the fritters a final time in the reserved cinnamon sugar, or just sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top. Serve immediately.
Boudin Balls with Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce
Fried Kicked-up Jalapeno Poppers
Natchitoches Meat Pies
Rustic Tomato Soup With Basil Oil And Croustades
Apple Fritters With Steen's Cane Syrup
Beer Battered Fried Okra Stuffed With Crabmeat And A Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Fried Okra With Creamy Buttermilk Dip
Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce