- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground kangaroo meat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 4 ounces cheddar or gouda, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, green part only
- Flour, for dusting
- PASTRY FOR FRIED PIES:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- SPLIT PEA SOUP:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound dried green split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- Hot Sauce, to taste
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the kangaroo. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the meat is fully cooked. Remove from the heat and cool completely. In a mixing bowl, combine the meat mixture and cheese. Mix well. Stir in the green onions.
- Divide the pastry dough into 24 equal portions. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each dough piece into a thin round about 5 inches in diameter. Put about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in the center of each round, fold the dough over, and crimp the edges together with a fork.
- Preheat the oil to 360ºF.
- Fry the pies in batches, 2 to 3 at a time, until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt. Ladle the soup into the serving bowls. Float a couple of the pies in the soup and serve.
- PASTRY FOR FRIED PIES: Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the shortening and with your hands or a fork, mix until the mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until a smooth ball forms. Cover the ball of dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
- Yield: enough pastry for 12 large or 24 small pies
- SPLIT PEA SOUP: In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onions. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf, and split peas and cook, stirring , for 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes, until the peas are tender. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Add the milk and, using a hand-held immersion blender, process until smooth. Add the hot sauce and serve hot.
- Yield: 8 servings
"an Aussie Barbie" Emeril Style
Wattleseed Ice Cream With Homemade Macadamia Nut Cookies
Fried Sweet Potato Pies
Fresh Peach Fried Pies With A Cinnamon Crust And Roasted Peach And Raspberry Ice Cream
Fresh Blueberry Fried Pies
Nashville Fried Catfish With Fried Pickles
A Hunter's Duck Pie
Crawfish Pies, My Way
Nola's Creole Shrimp And Homemade Tasso Pot Pie