- 1/2 pound Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 3/4 cup fried fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- CHORON SAUCE:
- 1 cup chopped, peeled and seeded tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and warm
- In a small, heavy saucepan, place the potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer and until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain in a colander. Return the potatoes to the saucepan. Add the cream, butter and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. With the heat on medium-low, mash until well blended, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a medium sauté pan heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers, and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, cooked vegetables, crab meat, green onions, grated cheese, parsley, Creole mustard, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons Essence, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix to incorporate.
- In a shallow bowl, season the flour with 1 teaspoon of the Essence.
- In another bowl, whisk the remaining egg with the water.
- In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon of the Essence.
- Divide the crab-potato mixture into 1/3-cup portions, and form into patties about 1-inch thick.
- Dredge both sides of each cake in the seasoned flour, dip in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off, then dredge in the seasoned bread crumbs, covering both sides completely and set aside.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Carefully add the cakes to the pan being careful not to overcrowd, and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and drain on a paper-lined plate.
- Season the cakes with the remaining teaspoon of Essence and serve immediately with Choron Sauce.
- CHORON SAUCE: In a saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tarragon, shallots, vinegar and wine, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced to a thick syrup and dark brown, about 20 minutes.Remove from the heat and add the parsley. Let cool while making the Hollandaise Sauce.
- In a stainless steel bowl set over a pot of simmering water over medium heat, whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice, water, mustard, salt and cayenne together until pale yellow and slightly thick. (Be careful not to let the bowl touch the water.) Remove the bowl from the pot and whisking vigorously, add the butter, 1 teaspoon at a time, until all is incorporated. Add the tomato mixture to the sauce and whisk together until well blended.
- Place over a pot of warm water, off the heat, and cover to keep warm, stirring occasionally until needed.
- Yield: about 2 cups
Mashed Potato Crabcakes With Sour Cream Remoulade
Meringue Shells With Macerated Strawberries, Whipped Cream And Hazelnut Chocolate Sauce
Salmon, Yukon Gold Potatoes And Artichoke Hearts With Lemon Vinaigrette And Choron Sauce
Mini Eggs Benedict With Choron Sauce
Grilled Fillet Of Beef With Blue Cheese Glacage, With Bacon And Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes And A Drizzle Of Emeril's Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
Pistachio Crusted Rack Of Lamb With Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes And Peasant Style Sauce
Roasted Prawns With Spinach Mashed Potatoes And Red Pepper Sauce
Emeril's Grilled Cowboy Steak With Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Fried Oysters And A Drizzle Of Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
Vanilla And Bourbon Marinated Pork Loin With Sour Cream Mashed Sweet Potatoes And Pecan Gravy
Smoked Trout Hash With Choron Sauce