- 8 cups uncooked shrimp heads and shells (from about 1 pound large shrimp)
- 2 onions, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 lemons, halved
- 8 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup shopped fresh parsley, including stems, not packed
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 quarts water, cold or at room temperature
- Rinse the shrimp heads and shells quickly under cold water, and place them in a stockpot with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium and cook for 30 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly, strain, and refrigerate or freeze in 2- to 4-cup containers or ice-cube trays for use in individual dishes. Keeps for 1 month.