- 2 whole chickens (about 2 1/2 pounds each), cleaned and rinsed thoroughly
- 12 whole peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 24 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole carrots, peeled and halved vertically
- 4 whole stalks celery
- 4 onions, quartered
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 parsnips, peeled and halved
- 2 cups water
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Push 6 cloves of the garlic under the skin of each chicken (3 under each breast). Place 1/4 cup each of the chopped onions, celery, and carrots into the cavity of each chicken, along with 2 bay leaves for each.
- Strip the leaves from the rosemary sprigs and chop them. Push the leaves under the skin of each breast and sprinkle some over the skin; place a rosemary stem in each cavity. Rub the skin of each chicken with 1 tablespoon of the oil, and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 6 turns of the pepper.
- Place the halved carrots in a large roasting pan. Place the whole celery stalks across the carrots to form a bed for the chickens. Place the quartered onions, potatoes, and parsnips around the pan and add the water. Sprinkle the vegetables with the remaining1 teaspoon salt and the remaining 12 turns black pepper.
- Place the chickens on top of the vegetables and roast for 45 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF and roast until the meat is falling off the bones, for about 50 to 60 minutes more.
- To serve, halve the chickens and allow one-half per portion, surrounded by the vegetables.
Monster Herbed Veal Chops With Rosemary Potato Crisps And Roasted Shallot Sauce
Albuquerque Roast Chicken With Black Bean Chili, Guacamole, And Fried Tortilla Strips
Beggarsí Purses Of Lamb, Goat Cheese, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Rosemary Lentils
Rack Of Lamb With Creole Mustard Crust, Rosemary Jus, And Apple Mint Relish
Pine Nut Crusted Chicken With Roasted Poblano Sauce
Tender Roast Chicken With Chestnut Corn Bread Dressing
Roasted Shrimp With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce And Warm Frisee Corn Salad
Pork Medallions With Braised Red And Green Cabbages And Roasted Shallots
Dr. E.ís Get Well Chicken Vegetable Soup
Rosemary Lamb Stew