- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup julienned prosciutto, 1/8-inch-wide strips (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 pound cooked cheese tortellini (preferable fresh)
- 2 cups assorted greens (frisÈe, arugula, mache, oak leaf, or stemmed whole spinach)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onion, prosciutto, tomatoes, basil, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 4 turns of the pepper, and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, remove from the heat, and turn into a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the tortellini and the remaining salt and pepper, and fry until golden brown, shaking the skillet and tossing the pasta, for about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and toss with the prosciutto in the bowl.
- Add the greens and the Parmesan to the bowl and toss well.
- To serve, divide the salad among 4 large dinner plates or shallow pasta bowls. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan if you’re as self-indulgent as I am.
Greens And Fried Oysters With Pernod Buttermilk Dressing
Pork Medallions With Braised Red And Green Cabbages And Roasted Shallots
Chanterelles, Crabmeat, And Fettuccine With Lemon Butter Sauce
Herbed Lamb Patties With Creole Ratatouille And Rosemary Jus
Crab And Wild Mushroom Cheesecake With Green Onion Coulis
Herbed Pan Roast Of Salmon With Warm Greens And Herb Vinaigrette
Seared Peppered Tuna With Greens And Vodka Vinaigrette
Prosciutto And Mushroom Ravioli With Fried Sage
Albuquerque Roast Chicken With Black Bean Chili, Guacamole, And Fried Tortilla Strips
Beer Battered Fish With Twice-fried Vinegar Chips And Basil Mayonnaise