- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, cut up, at room temperature
- 9 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, toasted and finely chopped in a food processor
- 1/4 cup Frangelica (hazelnut liqueur)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup halved large fresh strawberries
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh peaches
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh kiwi fruit
- Three Fruit Coulis
- Preheat the oven to 375?F. Grease a 6-cup loaf pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter.
- To make the almond genoise (the cake part): In a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, whisk 6 of the eggs with 3/4 cup of the sugar and 1 tablespoon of the almond extract. Whisk constantly, occasionally removing the bowl from the heat when the mixture threatens to get too hot and scramble the eggs. Whisk until a 3-second ribbon forms (lift the whisk and the mixture will fall from it like a ribbon that lasts 3 seconds), for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bow from the heat and beat the mixture with an electric mixer until thick and frothy, for about 3 minutes. In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and 1 cup of the almonds, and mix well. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake until spongy, for about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Run a small knife around the inside of the pan and turn the genoise out onto a rack to cool. Using a sharp bread knife, slice the genoise into 3 equal, horizontal layers, and set aside.
- To make the almond cream: In a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, whisk together the remaining 3 eggs, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and the remaining 1 teaspoon almond extract. Reduce the heat to medium and whisk constantly, removing the mixture from the heat occasionally to ensure that the eggs donít scramble, until you get a 3-second ribbon. Remove the bowl from the heat and beat the mixture with an electric mixer until itís thick and frothy, for about 5 minutes. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup almonds and the remaining 8 tablespoons butter. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- Line the loaf pan with long pieces of plastic wrap overhanging the sides and place 1 layer of the cake in the bottom. (Save the best-looking layer for the top.) Sprinkle the bottom layer with 1 tablespoon of the Frangelica. Spread about 1/2 cup of the cream over the layer and arrange half the fruit in layers over the cream. Add the next layer of cake, sprinkle with another tablespoon Frangelica , and spread another 1/2 cup of the cream. Layer the remaining fruits over the top and spread the remaining 1/2 cup cream over the fruit. Sprinkle the underside of the top layer with 1 tablespoon of the Frangelica and turn it over on the last layer of cream. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the remaining 1 tablespoon Frangelica. Wrap the plastic wrap tightly over the cake and pres gently but firmly into the loaf pan. Refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare the Three Fruits Coulis. Remove the terrine from the refrigerator and unwrap it. Carefully turn the cake out onto a platter and cut 8 slices.
- To serve, place 1 slice of the terrine on each plate and spoon a pool of each of the Three Fruit Coulis onto each plate on each of 3 sides
- Note: Preheat the oven to 375?F. Place the pecans or other nuts on a baking sheet in the oven and roast until golden and fragrant, for about 5 to 6 minutes. Watch carefully to be sure they donít burn. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks.
Fruit Terrine With Almond Cream And Three Fruit Coulis
Three Fruit Coulis
Lemon Pudding With Blackberry Coulis
Crab And Wild Mushroom Cheesecake With Green Onion Coulis
Cinnamon Rum Raisin Ice Cream With Fried Plantains And Spun Sugar
Banana Cream Pie With Caramel Drizzles And Chocolate Sauce
Crab Cakes With Tomato Mustard Coulis
Smoked Salmon Cheesecake With Green Onions Coulis
Chocolate Chip Pie With Bourbon Cream
Corn Flaps With Chive Cream And Caviar