- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the shortening and work it with your fingers, or with a fork or pastry blender, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the milk and black pepper and stir with a fork just until a soft dough forms. Use immediately.