- One-half cup ground allspice
- One-half cup packed brown sugar
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves
- 4 to 6 scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme or 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 bunches green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- One-half teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce to moisten
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Keep the sauce refrigerated. (Increase or decrease the hot peppers and garlic to your taste.)
- Rub the meat (chicken, pork or fish) with the seasoning. If using a pork shoulder, score the fat and rub it in. With chicken, be sure to rub under the skin and in the cavities.
- Marinate overnight. Grill over a low fire until tender and with the chicken, until the juices run clear. Pimento wood is best, but not essential. Charcoal is great. Chop the meat into pieces, and serve traditionally with hard-dough bread and ice-cold beer such as Jamaican Red Stripe.