- 5 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- Essence to taste
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels (from 1 medium-size ear)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 pound peeled crawfish tails
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock or
- canned chicken broth
- 4 red snapper fillets (6 to 8 ounces each), skinned if possible
- Tasso Maque Choux
- Preheat the oven to 400?F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a medium-size sautÈ pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Season with Essence. Add the corn and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and crawfish and cook for 1 minute. Season with Essence, remove from the heat, and let cool.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, milk, and chicken stock and mix well, but do not beat. Fold in the crawfish mixture.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large ovenproof sautÈ pan over medium heat.
- Pour in the batter and cook until the edges begin to turn golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Break the coush-coush into small pieces. Set aside.
- Season the snapper fillets with Essence. Heat the remaining 1/4 cup vegetable oil in another large sautÈ pan over medium heat. Add the snapper and sear until it flakes easily with a fork, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, put equal amounts of the coush-coush in the center of 4 serving plates. Lay the fillet on top of each and spoon over the tasso maque choux.
Grilled Escolar With Crawfish Cream Sauce
Lamb Roast Stuffed With Crawfish And Chevre
Crawfish Beignets With Tomato And Corn Tartar Sauce
Stuffed Morels With Crawfish Remoulade
Salt Shell Snapper With Black Bean Chili
Tipsy Snapper With Ginger Sake Sauce And Fried Arugula
Seared Salmon Or Pan Fried Snapper With Saute Vegetables And A Drizzle Of Lemon Butter Sauce
Crispy Seared Snapper With Herb Jus And Parsnip Slaw
Crawfish Stuffed Pork Chops With Crawfish Borderlaise Sauce
Crawfish Stuffed Filet Mignon With Crawfish Bordelaise Sauce