- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a food processor or blender, blend the egg, mustard, and lemon juice together for 20 seconds. With the machine running, slowly pour in the oil in the feed tube. The mixture will thicken. Season with the salt and pepper and pulse once or twice to blend.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Best if used within 24 hours.
- Variations: Aioli is a garlic-flavored mayonnaise that is very popular to serve with fish, meats, and vegetables. To make it, combine 2 teaspoons chopped garlic with the egg, mustard, and lemon juice, and proceed as directed.
- Saffron Aioli is made simply by combining 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads with 2 tablespoons hot water, then letting the mixture stand for 8 hours. When ready to use, whisk the saffron mixture to blend. The saffron mixture is added with the egg, mustard, and lemon juice; then proceed with the recipe as directed.
- Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise can be made by adding 2 tablespoons Roasted Garlic with the egg, mustard, and lemon juice, then proceeding as directed.
- Salmonella warning: Letís talk about egg safety because I donít want any of you out there to get sick. I personally love homemade fresh mayonnaise and I make it with freshóand I mean FRESHóraw eggs. Iíve never had any trouble, but I want you to take some precautions. Always purchase your eggs from a reputable source, a place you can trust with your life. Donít use eggs after the expiration date on the carton. Donít go leaving your eggs in the backseat of your car while youíre out and about, and once you get home, keep the eggs in the refrigerator. I use eggs pretty quickly, so I donít have to worry about keeping them too long at home. But I suppose thereís a tiny risk some nasty old salmonella could sneak into some eggs, so just be cautious about serving young kids or the elderly or to people who have health problems. Okay?
Grilled Escolar With Crawfish Cream Sauce
Creole Spiced Blue Crabs With Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Crawfish Beignets With Tomato And Corn Tartar Sauce
Gnocchi Au Gratin With Orleans Cream Sauce
Hearts Of Palm Strudels With Remoulade Dipping Sauce
Roasted Tomatillo Sauce
Vegetable And Goat Cheese Empanada With Roasted Tomatillo Sauce