- 2 cups plus 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 5 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 cups finely chopped scallions
- 2 scotch bonnets, seeded and minced (please wear gloves)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons browning
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 5 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- JAMAICAN BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Pickapeppa Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Jerk marinade
- 3 scallions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- Rinse chicken pieces well in 2 cups of the vinegar, drain, transfer to 2 Ziploc plastic bags and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor combine remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar, scallions, scotch bonnets, soysauce, browning , lime juice, allspice, bay leaves, garlic, salt, sugar, thyme and cinnamon. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the jerk marinade for the Jamaican Barbecue Sauce.
- Rinse chicken pieces well under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Divide chicken pieces between two heavy-duty gallon plastic ziplock bags and divide marinade evenly between the two. Turn bags over to evenly distribute marinade, and refrigerate chicken for at least 24 hours and up to 2 days.
- On an oiled grill rack set about 6 inches above red-hot coals, grill chicken (in batches if necessary), covered, for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Transfer to a warm platter and keep warm until serving.
- Serve with Jamaican Barbecue Sauce, alongside fried plantains, rice or bread of choice.
- Yield:4 to 6 servings
- JAMAICAN BARBECUE SAUCE: In a medium non-reactive saucepan combine all ingredients except rum and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook another 12 minutes, until sauce is thick and flavorful and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Cool sauce to room temperature before serving.
Jamaican Jerked Chicken With Barbecue Sauce
Jamaican Jerked Pork Tenderloins
Bob Marley's Reggae: Jerk Marinated Chicken† Breast Skewers, Chargrilled And Served With Creamy Cucumber Dipping Sauce And Yuca Fries
Seared Chicken Breasts With Jerk Sauce
Jerk Chicken Skewers
Jamaican Meat Pies
Jerked Leg Of Goat
Roast Garlic Chicken And Vegetables