- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 6 pounds greens, such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, or spinach, rinsed well, picked over, and stemmed
- Fry the bacon in a large heavy pot over medium heat until slightly crisp. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until wilted and golden. Add the salt, cayenne, black pepper, and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the beer, vinegar, and molasses. Mix well.
- Begin adding the greens, a third at a time, pressing down on the greens as they wilt. They will wilt considerable as they cook. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring often, for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Smothered Green Beans And Potatoes
Southern Cooked Greens
Corn Bread And Andouille Dressing
Eggplant And Rice Dressing
Jerusalem Artichokes And Potatoes Au Gratin
Smothered Okra And Tomatoes
The King's Creole Fried Pork Chops With Mashed Sweet Potatoes And Southern Cooked Greens
Southern Style Green Beans With Bacon And New Potatoes
Green Jalapeno Sauce