- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) butter
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery and saute until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, salt, and cayenne and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink.
Dissolve the flour in the water and add to the shrimp mixture. Stir until the mixture thickens slightly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the parsley and green onions. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes more.