- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup Herbsaint or other anise-flavored liqueur
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (scallions), green parts only
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- One 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, thoroughly washed and trimmed of tough stems
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Heat the butter in a 10-inch sautÈ pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Carefully add the Herbsaint so that it does not flame. Add the green onions, parsley, and spinach and cook until the spinach is slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add the cream and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender and process until the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Add the salt and pepper and pulse two or three times to blend, and serve immediately.