- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
- 2 fresh Thai or serrano chile peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic (about 6 medium cloves)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon noc mam or nam pla (Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated, fresh peeled ginger (about 1/3-inch piece)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon curry paste
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, 1 cup coarsely chopped onions (about 2 medium onions), 1 cup canned chicken broth, 1/3 cup fresh or canned unsweetened coconut milk, 1 tablespoon noc mam or nam pla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 ounces dried cellophane noodles (bean threads), soaked in warm water for 20 minutes, drained and cut into 2-inch lengths (* Or leave out the noodles and serve over jasmine rice.)
- 1/3 cup dried tiny tree ear mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, then drained
- 2 scallions (both green and white parts), trimmed and thinly sliced
- Peel and discard the outer leaves of the lemongrass. With a sharp knife, cut off and discard the upper half of the stalks at the point where the leaves branch out. Thinly slice the remaining stalks.
- Process the lemongrass, chile peppers, and garlic in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the chicken and the remaining marinade ingredients, mixing together until throughly blended. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready to stir-fry, heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and heat until smoking-hot. Add onions and stir-fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken and stir-fry until the chicken is golden on the outside and just cooked through on the inside, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar and bring to a boil. Stir in the cellophane noodles and mushrooms. Continue to cook for a minute longer, then remove from the heat and stir in the scallions. Transfer the stir-fry to a warm platter and serve immediately.
- From The Best of Nicole Routhier, published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang Marinade and Chicken
Chicken Breasts With Vella Cheeses
Chicken Poached In Coconut Curry
Oysters On The Half-shell With Mignonette Sauce And Caviar
Adrienne's Cracked Crab With Curried Dipping Sauce
Chicken With Dijon Mustard And Cream Sauce
Roasted Shrimp With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce And Warm Frisee Corn Salad
Pork With Caramelized Onions And Apricots
Easy Chicken Pot Pies
Papa's Roast Goose